We’re hiring! Executive Director
Position: Executive Director, HiVE
Report to: Board of Directors
Posted: Oct. 16, 2020; applications reviewed on a rolling basis
Location: HiVE, Vancouver coworking space – 210-128 W. Hastings St.
Apply to: Subject line “Executive Director Application” to email@example.com
About the HiVE
HiVE is a community hub that supports and amplifies the social impact and coworking sectors by providing the social cohesion, human capital, and resources that enable change-makers to thrive. We utilize the powerful tool of shared-space for coworking, event hosting, programming, and community building and provide access to support services that catalyze social innovation. To us, social impact means creating a just, inclusive, and sustainable economy and society that values people and planet above profit.
In 2011, our non-profit society opened with 9,000 square feet of coworking, event, and meeting space, and in 2017, we expanded into an additional 3,000 square feet within our building. We are Vancouver’s longest standing coworking space that operates as a nonprofit society. Learn more
Nature and Scope
We are looking for a dynamic and experienced Executive Director (ED) to join our team. Though the coworking movement has gained momentum globally and locally, the onset of COVID-19 has required co-working spaces like the HiVE to pivot and innovate. The ED will have a business savvy mindset and will be able to see the “big picture”, holding ultimate responsibility to supervise and lead all strategic and business aspects of HiVE. The ED will confidently drive the HiVE’s strategic and business development and guide it towards long-term success.
The ED reports directly to HiVE’s Board of Directors. The ED will be given the responsibility to hire a Office/Community Manager (who will carry out administrative, community engagement and/or marketing duties, per ED’s discretion) who reports directly to them. The HiVE also runs a Desk Bee Exchange Program which is a barter program that offers members access to the HiVE in exchange for running our front desk reception. The Desk Bees (members who work the HiVE’s reception desk) also report ultimately to the ED. In addition, the HiVE also has a team of Event Animators who assist with community events and rentals of the HiVE, and these Event Animators also report ultimately to the ED.
Strategic Leadership and Management
- Collaborate with the Board of Directors to define HiVE’s strategic goals and vision.
- Provide strong leadership and decision-making in operationalizing the strategic direction, incorporating goals, objectives, and KPIs which reflect the strategic direction of the organization.
- Keep the Board of Directors briefed on major issues and trends that could affect the organization’s strategic direction and sustainability and provide high-level recommendations to support them in making informed decisions.
- Establish and maintain good working relationships, communication and collaborative arrangements with members, community groups, funders, politicians, and other organizations to grow HiVE’s public engagement and brand awareness and help achieve the goals of the organization.
Human resources planning and management
- Ongoing determination of staffing requirements (from recruitments to terminations).
- Implement and maintain human resources policies, procedures and practices.
- Maintain a positive, healthy and safe work environment in line with legislation and regulations.
- Oversee / implement new staff orientation and training.
- Implement a performance management process (annual performance review etc.).
- Create a motivational work environment and coach and mentor staff and volunteers as appropriate to improve performance.
Business Development and Financial Management
- Act as a spokesperson and represent the HiVE in the community.
- Develop and diversify business and revenue streams, finding creative ways to build upon or adapt our coworking business model and physical assets.
- Oversee the planning, implementation and evaluation of the organization’s programs and services to retain existing members and grow new memberships.
- Work with staff and the Board to prepare and monitor a comprehensive annual budget.
- Create and implement a fund development plan, setting and meeting quarterly revenue targets, including fundraising/grants and sponsorship strategies.
- Approve expenditures within the authority delegated by the Board.
- Ensure that sound bookkeeping and accounting procedures are followed.
- Funds administration in line with the approved budget and monitor the monthly cash flow of the organization.
- Regular reports to the Board on the revenues and expenditures of the organization.
- Support the Board of Directors with a financing plan for short and long-term goals.
- Oversee processing of member payments, bank deposits, credit cards, cheques
- Oversee the event rental process including booking, pricing, staffing
Relationship Building and Social Impact
- Maintain and grow a culture of connection and collaboration among our members and partners, fostering the overall social impact and coworking culture of HiVE.
- In consultation with other staff, ensure the ongoing planning, implementation and evaluation of community animation events.
- Maintain an engaged community of members and alumni by encouraging active understanding and engagement in HiVE’s mission and vision.
- Develop and track a social impact measurement system for HiVE.
Communications and Marketing
- Develop strategic communications and marketing strategy and campaigns across all channels (including social media, email marketing, website) in addition to overseeing marketing execution in collaboration with other staff.
- Budget and optimize marketing spend to maximize ROI and achieve brand awareness, sales and profitability goals.
- Analyze all direct marketing efforts, and related strategy through analytical models.
- Drive branding efforts locally and nationally.
- Coach Office/Community Manager and desk bees to ensure proper and consistent campaign execution and messaging (internal and external).
- Develop feedback cycles, surveys and focus groups to better understand member needs and drive demand through related efforts.
Qualifications and Experience
- 5+ years of leadership experience in an Executive Director, Program Manager and/or business development capacity. An advanced degree in Business Management (MBA) or equivalent is an asset.
- Strong financial background with past experience in nonprofit management and working with a Board of Directors.
- A proven track record of developing and implementing strategic initiatives and relationships that positively impact an organization.
- Excellent competency in high-level decision making and experience managing human resources.
- Experience working for or within a coworking environment and knowledge of the coworking movement is an asset.
- Demonstrated experience in significantly scaling the social impact of organizations with a demonstrated commitment to positive social change and social innovation.
- An established network and strong understanding of the Vancouver and Canadian social innovation and social entrepreneurship landscape.
- Experience and training in diversity, equity & inclusion (DEI) and anti-oppression practices is considered a strong asset.
Why work for the HiVE as our ED?
- Rare and unique opportunity to be at the forefront of redefining what coworking, social impact, and community means in the “new normal”
- Strategic and creative freedom, you’ll be working with a new Board and building your own team
- Be part of a values-driven community that amplifies social change
HiVE is an equal opportunity employer and invites applications from candidates regardless of race, gender, sexual orientation, education, age, ability, or religion. We strongly encourage applications from members of equity-seeking groups, including Indigenous, Black, People of Colour, People with dis/abilities, and those who identify as women and/or 2SLGBTQI+.
Unfortunately, our office is not currently wheelchair accessible. Most of the work would be in HiVE, located in Gastown in Vancouver, with some flexibility in terms of hours and location. HiVE has taken every precaution to ensure the safety of employees and members amid the COVID-19 pandemic, including installing plexiglass, ensuring physical distancing, and more frequent and rigorous cleaning practices.
This is a 6 month contract with possibility of extension and bonuses based on performance. This is a full-time role with an expected salary range (calculated as annual) of $60,000-$85,000 dependent on experience, with potential of bonus. Compensation includes access to extended health care benefits, MSP coverage, professional development support, and vacation time.
The preferred start date for this position is November 23rd, 2020. We are open and flexible to creative salary, start date, and work schedule proposals for the right candidate.
Please apply with your resume and cover letter highlighting your relevant experience, why you’re interested in HiVE, and a statement outlining your key contributions to our growth.
Email your application with subject line “Executive Director Application” to firstname.lastname@example.org by Sunday, November 1st, 2020 at 11:59pm PDT. Although we are grateful to all applicants who take the time to apply, only those who are selected for an interview will be contacted.